sabato 9 marzo 2024

John McLaughlin and Shakti - 1977-03-09 - Willimantic, CT (AUD/FLAC)


(AudienceFLAC)

John McLaughlin & Shakti 
March 9, 1977 
Willimantic, CT @ Shaboo Inn 
2-Audio Technics condensors > Sony TC 152 > cassette > ? > CDR 
spliced with portions of: 
2-Audio Technics condensors > Sony TC 152 > cassette > D6 > PC > CDR (by Commander) > EAC > Audacity > FLAC (by taperchuck3 in sept 2012) 
Recorded by Commander 

01. La Danse Du Bonheur (The Dance of Happiness) 15:38 
02. banter and band intros 4:06 
03. Lady L 26:47 
04. What Need Have I For This, What Need Have I For That, I Am Sitting At The Feet of My Lord, All Is Bliss, All Is Bliss 38:44 

John McLaughlin- acoustic guitar 
Lakshminarayanan (L) Shankar- Violin 
Zakir Hussain- tabla 
Thetakudi Harihara (T.H.) "Vikku" Vinayakaram- Ghatam 
Cheryl and Lynette- sruti boxes 

Notes: 
This is a version of this recording that I compiled from two sources. I think we now have the complete recording/performance. 

SOURCE 1 (labeled as 3/9/77): Most of this is taken from an unknown audience > ? > CDR source. This source was apparently missing the last 30 second of t3 and the last 17 minutes of t4. 

SOURCE 2 (labeled as 3/3/77): In September 2012, taperchuck3 posted this source, with detailed lineage, at Traders Den. This source was missing t2, and also had cuts between some tracks. 

Both sources sounded similar (clearly from the same original source recording), but I liked the tone of source 1, even though it has a little hiss (hey, it gives it character). So I kept all of source 1 (mainly because the first 3 tracks flowed with nothing missing, no cuts between tracks). Source 1 cut off around the 45 minutes mark (usually the limit of one side of a 90 minute cassette tape). Therefore, Source 1 was missing the last 30 seconds of t3, which I spliced in from source 2. Also, source 1 was apparently missing the last 17 minutes of t4, which I spliced in from source 2. 

The correct date is March 9, because McLaughlin announces that it was Zakir's birthday. 

Enjoy, because this really is one of THE best quality Shakti live recordings that exists. The quality really is excellent and the venue sounds intimate. I can say this with confidence having recently compared the quality of all of the live Shakti recordings I had in order to get rid of some and trim down my CDR collection...

2 commenti:

  1. Incredible recording of an awesome world music pioneer band!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Could you please share the file? It seems to have been removed.

    RispondiElimina