A concert from Keith Tippett's Rare Music Club in Bristol. Set up by Keith to promote contemporary classical, improvised and world music, all on the same bill, his aims were for audiences to be able "..to listen to a Bartok string quartet with a pint of Guinness or a glass of red wine, if they so wished…".
This night featured Northumbrian Pipe player Pauline Cato with some traditional tunes, followed by some contemporary classical from The Composers Ensemble and an improvised set by Mujician. FM broadcast by BBC Radio 3. MP3 sample in comments.
Another night from several years later to follow.
A night at the Keith Tippett Rare Music Club
St. George's Brandon Hill
Source: BBC Radio 3 FM > Denon TU-400L tuner > VHS > VHS LP > Archos Gmini 120 > Audition > FLAC
Recorded off air and transferred by PsyKiesKeith Tippett - piano
Paul Dunmail - saxophone
Tony Levin - drumsPart 1: Pauline Cato
01. Hexum Quadrille/Caliope House/Trippin' Upstairs [3:45]
03. Neil Gow's Lament For The Death Of His Second Wife [3:07]
04. Go To Berwick, Johnny/Lads Of Annach [2:39]
05. Variations On The Keel Row [4:16]
06. The Wild Hills Of Wannies [4:18]
07. The Carick Horn Pipe/Happy Hours [4:21]
Pauline Cato - northrumbrian pipes
Part 2: Composers Ensemble
01. Human Existence (Kurt Schwertsik, text Flann O'Brien) [2:25]
02. Ave Maria (Iris Seggi) [10:04]
03. Sarajevo (Oswaldo Golijov) [6:54]
04. 2nd Of November (Via Hoyland) [4:54]
05. Number 5 From Adnan Songbook (Gavin Bryars) [5:00]
06. Like The Rope Of A Thousand Fathoms (Peter Wiegold) [10:38]
07. Roll It Away (Martin Butler) [3:49]
Part 3: Mujician
01. I [10:58]
02. II [31:31]
Recorded by me off air direct from the original broadcast in 1993 to a Panasonic Hi-Fi VHS video recorder in SP audio only mode. Sometime in the mid to late 1990's I misguidedly transferred all my radio recordings to VHS LP audio mode. This combined with the age of the tapes has resulted in some evident distortion throughout.