Sunday, December 4, 2016
source: AUD (see location below) > Church Audio CA-14 Cardioids > Church Audio battery box > Edirol R-09 (24-bit/48.0 kHz, LINE-IN, rec. level 30/30) > SDHC Panasonic RP-SDM04G
location: block 22, row 15, seat 34 (about 50 m from the stage, 15 m right), hat-mounted mic
transfer: SDHC Panasonic RP-SDM04G > HD (via USB) > Audacity 2.1.1 (editing, see below) > CD Wave 1.98 (track splitting) > r8brain 1.9 (44.1 kHz resampling/very high quality 16-bit dithering) > TLH 126.96.36.199 (level 8 compression) > FLAC
generation: master (no optical media extraction)
taper: Giuseppe Pastorelli [G.P.] (doublec)
01 [0:34] *** intro ***
02 [3:57] Numbers
03 [3:13] Computer World
04 [7:12] It's More Fun To Compute + Homecomputer
05 [5:49] Computer Love
06 [3:49] Minicalcolatore
07 [5:19] The Man-Machine
08 [5:28] Spacelab
09 [3:43] Das Modell
10 [5:58] Neon Lights
11 [5:21] Metropolis
12 [8:59] Autobahn
13 [4:13] Tour de France 1983
14 [0:27] Prologue
15 [2:51] Tour de France Étape 1
16 [2:06] Chrono
17 [0:27] Prologue
18 [4:45] Tour de France Étape 2
19 [0:35] Geiger Counter
20 [6:19] Radioactivity
21 [4:18] Electric Café
22 [3:20] Trans-Europe Express
23 [0:46] Abzug
24 [3:15] Metal On Metal
25 [2:38] *** encore break 1 ***
26 [7:35] The Robots
27 [1:07] *** encore break 2 ***
28 [5:19] Planet Of Visions
29 [2:32] Boing Boom Tschak
30 [2:45] Techno Pop
31 [8:15] Musique Non Stop
Total running time [2:03:11]
WAV 16-bit 1.21 GB
FLAC 16-bit 664 MB
The venue is the famous Roman amphiteatre (1st Century BC) in Verona, also known for the Verona Arena Festival (summer opera festival).
I had a seat in the first level gallery at about 50 m from the central stage. Quiet people around me, but chatting is occasionally audible in the quiter parts of the recording.
The acoustic of the Arena is amazing and the sound is excellent.
Unfortunately the second half of the recording (tracks 18 to 31) is affected by hiss on the left channel due to my computer bag falling down a step under my seat when I tried to protect it from rain.
I have put the recorder in the front pocket and the cable was strechted. Where the recording is seriously ruined I have used the right channel only (stereo-to-mono).
What about the show?
It was my first Kraftwerk show (and the first 3D concert in my life).
A classic "English-language" performance with some surprises: Pocket Calculator in Italian (Minicalcolatore) and The Model in German (Das Modell)
Also Homecomputer, The Man-Machine, Neon Lights, Radioactivity and Techno Pop contain choruses and/or verses in German
I can imagine Kraftwerk would thank the large number of German attendees (the Garda Lake near Verona is a common holiday site for German-speaking people) and Verona is not far from Austria and South Germany
A light rain fell between Spacelab and Autobahn (during Metropolis you can hear occasional raindrops on the mics)
- The total running time of the recording was 2:14:02; I have cut the first 10:24 mins of pre-intro electronics and last useless 27 secs reducing the master to 2:03:11.
- I have amplified (+3.0 dB on the left channel, +3.5 dB on the right channel) and slightly compressed (-30 dB/2.0:1) the whole recording and faded-out the last 10 secs.
- About 12 mins of the recording has been reduced to mono (right channel has been used in place of the left one) in order to remove serious hiss on the left channel:
* Autobahn (from 0:32 to 1:40)
* encore break 1 (from 1:18 to the end) and The Robots (from beginning to 1:49)
* encore break 2 (completely), Planet Of Visions (completely) and Boing Boom Tschak (from beginning to 1:23)
- If you burn to audio CD, you will need 2 CDs (CD1: 01-12; CD2: 13-31)
"This recording is a poor gift to Ian Macdonald (ianmacd) for his excellent and inspiring residency of 8 nights at the Amsterdam Paradiso"