sabato 12 agosto 2017

Journey - 1983-08-19 - Tacoma, WA (AUD/FLAC)



(Audience FLAC)

Tacoma Dome

JEMS Master

Here is a new, uncirculated recording of a Journey show from Tacoma, Washington's new Tacoma Dome in 1983. This master audience recording was sent to me by JEMS for uploading. Thanks goes to JEMS for this recording and the many other excellent recordings they have shared with all of us over the years!

I'd hoped to upload this show a week ago on its 31st anniversary, but unfortunately, I didn't have time to get it done due to some other responsibilities. But here it is now, the concert from 31 years, 7 days ago today, Journey rocking Tacoma!

LINEAGE: NO EQ'ing DONE
Recording Gear: Sony Walkman D6C with a Sony ECM-939 microphone

JEMS 2014 Transfer: Master cassettes > Nakamichi CR-7A azimuth-correction > Audacity 2.0 24/96 capture > iZotopeRX MBIT+ resample to 16/44.1 > WAV files sent to Bootradr (both the 24/96 and 16/44.1 master WAV files and I worked with the 24/96 files) > AVS Audio Editor 7.2 (to join 24/96 files into one file) > Audacity (to balance audio, removed a few tape clicks, fix a few clipping points caused by stage fireworks, and amplify 2.4 db) > CD WAV Editor (for creating track splits and editing out tape flips) > Audacity (for down sampling a 16/44.1 copy and embedding metadata/track info into both the 24/96 and 16/44.1 copies & encoding as FLAC) > FLAC 6 > TLH (to align sectors on boundaries & to create and verify md5, ffp, and torrent files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: August 19th, 1983
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Venue: Tacoma Dome
Source: AUD (Master)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes (that's to "tupchurch for creating the artwork!)
Label: JEMS Master & Bootradr Project
Title: Stand On The Edge
Size: 512 MB

CD 1:
101. Elmo's Theme (opening)
102. Chain Reaction
103. Wheel In The Sky
104. Line Of Fire
105. Send Her My Love
106. Still They Ride
107. Open Arms
108. No More Lies
109. Jonathan Cain (keyboard solo)
110. Rubicon
111. Steve Smith (drum solo)
112. Escape
113. After The Fall (long intro)
114. After The Fall

CD 2:
201. Faithfully
202. Jonathan Cain (keyboard solo)
203. Who's Crying Now
204. Don't Stop Believin'
205. Neal Schon (guitar solo)
206. Stone In Love
207. Keep On Runnin' (cuts in)
208. Lights
209. Any Way You Want It
210. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
211. Elmo's Theme (closing)

The Tacoma Dome venue was brand new when Journey played this show. In fact, Journey was the second band to play at the venue with the first act being David Bowie eight days earlier. This was also Journey's second from last show on their 1983 Frontiers tour Steve Perry tells the audience.

As for the audio on this show, it is a very clean recording. There are some clicks and pops at various points in the recording that are from the master tapes it seems. The sound is a little flat and it isn't a full range of sound type of recording either. The lower frequencies (or bass) end can be brought up if you so choose in whatever you are using for your playback equipment. However, as the show progresses it gets better and better in the quality of sound. I really like how clean the sound is throughout the whole show and there is very little audience noise too. Steve Perry's vocals are very up front in the recording also. In fact, all vocals are. The backup vocals are very easy to hear also. Overall, the mix in hearing the vocals and instruments is great but it just lacks in having captured the full range of frequencies to give it the full, rich and deep sound like you get with a superb recording. But I still love the show personally and I've enjoyed it each time I've listened as I was getting it ready to share.

I'd first made an EQ'ed copy (for my own use) before I had to leave town for a week. But after returning home, and as I started listening to this non EQ'ed copy being shared here today, I realized this copy without any EQ work likely sounds better anyhow. I was able to clean up more of the clicks and pops on the EQ'ed version using some filters for doing so, but it was with a program I despise and it wouldn't even work with 24/96 audio either. So I started from scratch and put together this non EQ'ed upload. Like many of you, I prefer the non EQ'ed copy of a show so I can do my own work on it if I want to. I like the work many people do on shows before sharing them and I do enjoy a great EQ job too! But having the unaltered sound is a big plus and that is what is being shared here for the first time today. Actually, this is the first time the show is being shared publicly at all EQ'ed or not.

I really appreciate JEMS sharing this show with me so I could finish getting it ready and share it with everyone else interested in it. Being a huge Led Zeppelin fan too, I was very familiar with the various JEMS transfers and work on a number of Led Zeppelin recordings, as well as other artist recordings too, that they've put out for us to collect and hear over the years. So to be asked if I'd be interested in preparing this Journey show to upload by them, well, I was very honored. So please be sure to thank the source of the sharing on this uncirculated master Journey recording...and that is JEMS!

1 commento:

  1. I was there! I was up front on ground floor! I remember the idiot who threw an M-80 into the wooden dome rafters and the hellacious boom and flash! All recorded too!! Amazing! I was 17 and it was my first Concert! Brian Adams was OK.....not impressed. But those Speakers of Journeys began to glow and the Alien Head appeared as the Intro grew louder....AWESOME!! Neil got hit by a bottle and Steve Got Pisssed off! But it all went well.....Journey remains my Band.

    Kenneth W. Huffman - Class of 1984

    RispondiElimina