Saturday, March 18, 2017
Excellent quality collection of studio outtakes from Manassas second album remastered by Captain Acid. There are many versions in circulation but this one is the most complete and the best quality by far. According to CA this is the only copy he gave away.
1. Isn't It About Time
4. Piece Of My Mind
5. Six More Days And I'll Be Gone
6. Mama Told You So
7. The Seventh Mountain
8. So Many Times
9. People, They Just Don't Seem To Understand
10. Down The Road
11. I Don't Even Have To Try
12. Rollin' My Stone
13. City Junkies
14. Business On The Street
15. Do You Remember Americans?
16. Guaguanco De Vero
17. The Seventh Mountain
19. Who Do You Turn To?
20. Down The Road
21. People, They Just Don't Seem To Understand
22. Isn't It About Time
TWO tracks have the same names as tracks released on the Manassas compilation "Pieces," those being #2, "Lies" and #15, "Do You Remember Americans?" I've listened to the both version of both tracks, and they are indeed different takes; comparison notes as follows:
2. "Lies" from the Pink Robert Down The Road studio outtakes is laid back at 115 bpm, loose with harmony chorus throughout second half.
3. "Lies" from Manassas' 2009 Pieces CD, tighter, at 130bpm, much more polished track, vocal phrasing different from the start. Second half is all guitar solos with no vocal choruses.
15. "Do You Remember Americans?" from the Pink Robert Down The Road studio outtakes is 110bpm, all harmony singing, rather polished track, country take with CSN style harmonies, steel guitar, acoustic guitar, country bass line, piano and banjo, tight ending
13 "Do You Remember The Americans" from Manassas' 2009 Pieces CD, much faster at 150bpm, a bluegrass reading without the harmony singing, just Stills singing, banjo picking, acoustic guitar, similar country bass line, mandolin, no steel or piano, false start