giovedì 1 febbraio 2024

Spirit - 1990-02-01 - Minneapolis, MN (SBD/FLAC)




(Soundboard FLAC)

The Cabooze, Minneapolis, MN

Lineage:
SBD > DAT > CDR by unknown > EAC > FLAC + checksums

01 Opening riffs > Downer
02 Love From Here
03 Fresh Garbage > Love Tonight
04 Nature's Way
05 Ship Of Fools
06 Mr. Skin
07 Animal Zoo
08 Dark Eyed Woman
09 It's All The Same >
10 I Got A Line On You
11 Deep In This Land
12 Hey Joe (short instrumental) > Turn To The Right

Notes by the uploader/trader:
I was at this show. It was a very cold day, and I was underage at the time. But, somehow, I just knew I would get lucky, somehow.. I didn't know how, but I wasn't going to miss a chance. In prep., I got there about two hours before the show. I rolled two big doobies, and smoked one as I walked from the bus stop to The Cabooze. By the time I go to the door, I was seriously lit up on the smoke. The bouncer refused to let me in, yet I wasn't going to give up that easy. I slid myself to the side door, straighted my look, and walked right in. It was there that I bumped into Ed Cassidy. I gave him a stoned smile and said I was "sorry for sneaking in, but I am too young, but I love you guys!" Ed returned the grin and told me, "I did the same thing in the jazz clubs when I was your age. I am happy to see someone as so happy to see us. Follow me!" Ed then went up to some of the staff, whispered something in their ears, and nodded. "You are all set. Nothing to worry about!"

I gave him a hug and started on my way to find a stool, when Ed stopped me. "Why don't you come backstage and hang with us for a while. I think Randy would get a kick of this." Of course, how could I say no to that offer. I went backstage (first time of many, as The Cabooze became almost a second home not long after) and sure enough, there was Randy. "Randy, I found this kid trying to sneak in!" Randy gave a faked shocked look on his face. From there, Randy sat down and told me stories, many quick stories.. about his life, his spiritual side ("Without something to believe in, life is useless. Life itself is it's own blessing."), Jimi Hendrix, and more, for a good 20 minutes.

I pulled out my 2nd doobie and offered to smoke the band up. "Thank you for the offer, but no thanks. Save it for the show, and some other good fans." They then said it was time to eat (Randy says 'The Riverside Cafe', which was the greatest vegan folkrock coffeehouse at the time, I went there all the time back then), rehearse a bit, and such, and sent me on my way with grins on all our faces. I did friend an old hippie couple and we lit doobie #2 right before the show began and quickly ran inside in perfect timing. The show, to me, was just amazing. I finally saw them! It was my first, and very unf., the last time. I still remember everything. Nothing has changed. If anything, I am even a bigger Spirit fan now than then. Back then, I only knew some of their material from a friends record collection and the radio show, 'Flashback'

The Cabooze records nearly every band from the SBD. They aren't professial done, but more on the fly and raw. However, they are very enjoyable, if you are lucky enough to find them. But, VERY VERY few recordings make it out and into circulation. It's a major pity, because of so much great music they had. I saw Koko Taylor there every few months, plus Willie Dixon, Johnny Winter, Robin Trower, Junior Wells, Hot Tuna, John Mayall, Dickie Betts, etc. etc. etc. I felt, and still feel, very lucky this one made it out to the public. Wish I could say the same about all the rest of the shows. Someone is sitting on some seriously amazing shows, and doesn't share them with anyone.

1 commento:

  1. Hello, Many thanks for sharing. I was really moved by your comments. A lot of emotion. I would have liked to live such moments. You are a very lucky guy to met these guys. I am a great fan since I was a teenager and still listen to this fantastic group.
    best regards from the French West coast, but without psychedelic music.
    Robert

    RispondiElimina