lunedì 3 gennaio 2022

Dixie Dregs - 1978-05-30 - Tucson, TX (FM/FLAC)

(FM broadcast FLAC)

This one is nice and using 2 sources it is complete and superb sounding. 

Dixie Dregs 
Lee Furr's Recording Studio 
May 30, 1978 
Tucson, AZ. 
Live on KWFM 92.9 

Lineage: 
Partial track 1 & Track 9 = FM > unknown cassette generation > WAV > Flac 
Partial track 1 & all others = 7-1/2 IPS, 2 Track Pre-FM Master > Beta II Hi-Fi Stereo > WAV > Flac 

Steve Morse - Guitar 
Andy West - Bass 
Rod Morgenstern - Drums 
Allen Sloan - Violin 
Mark Parrish - Keyboards 

Disc 1 
01 DJ Intro > Free Fall 
02 Moe Down 
03 Refried Funky Chicken 
04 Night Meets Light 
05 The Wabash 
06 Travel Tunes 
07 Wages of Weirdness 
08 Northern Lights 

Disc 2 
01 Punk Sandwich 
02 The Odyssey 
03 DJ Intro > Take It Off the Top 
04 Country House Shuffle 
05 Ice Cakes 
06 What If 
07 Gina Lola Breakdown 
08 Cruise Control 
09 DJ Outro & Interview 

Many Dregs collectors have had this show for years of mostly unknown lineage. I was always frustrated with the quality I would run across in the tape trading circles back in the day. Living in Tucson and knowing folks in the recording industry, I went on a hunt. I knew someone had to have a master cassette from the FM broadcast or maybe a pre-FM master. I contacted some folks who worked for KWFM, Lee Furr, the owner of the studio and various engineers who worked there, spending months making phone calls and following up on any lead I could find. Many were dead ends. When one day, making a phone call to an engineer who worked at Lee's studio and was now working for the local PBS affiliate I explained what I was looking for and if he might have a lead. Wow he said, I have the tape right here! I offered to buy him lunch at a restaurant of his choice if he would let me borrow the tape for a few days. I dropped by his office and picked up the reel and quickly transferred it to the only decks I had available at the time which was two Sony beta Hi-Fi VCR's and one VHS Hi-Fi VCR. 

The first song on the master reel was cut and did not contain the interview that as I recall was played in the middle of the live FM performance. I used the first 33 seconds from my best FM cassette source and spliced it into the master reel version. I also used the FM Cassette source for the interview.

1 commento:

  1. I ran across this website and your posting regarding "Dixie Dregs - Lee Furr's Recording Studio, Tucson 1978". I was going to UofA in the late '70s and I remember this! Is there ANYWAY I can get a copy of this? Whatever the price! Thank you! Bob (bobroark@gmail.com)

    RispondiElimina